Re: Desktop sessions dying with time

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 01:16:32PM -0700, ben wrote:

> yeah, definitely get a more precise description of what's actually going on.
> the thought struck me that it could be bad ram. xsession crapouts that leave
> no trace in kern.log suggest that. memtest is a handy utility for checking
> that.

Thanks, just installed memtest86 and set it up in lilo, will have the
users run it when they get a chance.

> on the other hand, it may be a simple x config error.  do you have an
> xfree86 log file in /var/log?

Yeah, but there's a session running at the moment so nothing in the
current log to suggest what the problem was.  The X configuration is
also pretty straightforward, and works Most Of The Time(tm), so I'd be
surprised if it were an X config issue.

I'll also have them save a backup of that file the next time they catch
this happening, can't hurt.

--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that