Debian 3.0r0 wont 'powerdown'

With the newest Debian 3.0r0 for i386 shutdown now -h, or poweroff, goes
through the expected steps finally saying 'power down', at that point
nothing further happens.  Power remains on.

I am nearly positive that with earlier releases of Debian the power down
completed as expected.

The oldest version I have available is 2.2.r6, it also doesn't fully power
down.

How can I get my hands on earlier versions to see at what point this problem
was introduced.  I would like to try 2.0, as I am positive that it powered
down correctly.

I need only load the very minimal system, character mode to do the test.

My system is a Intel 815 motherboard.  I have also done this test on an
earlier Intel 810, it also fails to power down with the newer releases.  All
of these do a complete powerdown with Win98.

I have a fast internet connection, it would be easiest to do a net install,
if there was some way to get to the older releases.

Ron