Re: iptables

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:43:10 -0400 "Rodney Green"
<rgreen@trayerproducts.com> wrote:

> >What kernel version are you using?  You need at least a 2.4 kernel
> >with iptables enabled.
>
> I did not first look at the kernel version. I assumed incorrectly that
> I was running a 2.4 kernel.
> The kernel version I have is 2.2.20. I hope it's easier to build and
> add a new kernel on
> Debian than it is to do the same on Slackware. I had loads of probs
> doing it on slack.
> Any advice on doing this is welcome.

I strongly recommend kernel 2.4.18. It is the latest stable linux
kernel, it has been out there for a few months already and seems rock
solid. Works impeccably on all machines I have installed Debian on, for
all kinds of uses (servers, desktops, etc.).

Others have already suggested using make-kpkg from kernel-package. Sure
makes your life a lot easier compiling kernels... Just read its
documentation carefully, and it should be smooth sailing (has been for
me).

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/