RE: iptables

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 10:43, Rodney Green wrote:
> >What kernel version are you using?  You need at least a 2.4 kernel with
> >iptables enabled.
>
> I did not first look at the kernel version. I assumed incorrectly that I was
> running a 2.4 kernel.
> The kernel version I have is 2.2.20. I hope it's easier to build and add a
> new kernel on
> Debian than it is to do the same on Slackware. I had loads of probs doing it
> on slack.
> Any advice on doing this is welcome.

Never used slack before but it is a pretty nice system on debian

apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18 make-kpkg

next untar the sources and from the root of the kernel

make-kpkg --append-to-version "-yourkernelflavour" --revision 1 --initrd
--bzimage --config menuconfig kernel_image modules_image kernel_headers

this will create debian packages in the parent directory of the kernel
source tree that you can install.

one thing that the make-kpkg seems to fail to do is add a couple of
dependencies for initrd so you may need to apt-get them before
installing your kernel (initrd-tools)
don't forget to add initrd=/initrd.img to your lilo.conf

(I will probably get responses from people saying that initrd is bad and
you shouldn't use it, but unless you compile everything into the kernel,
you will want it for things like ext3, any scsi adapters, basically
anything that needs to be preloaded at system boot.)

hope that helps

-Mark