ide-floppy. LS-120

Hi all (Please, send a copy of your reply  to my private address as I am not
subscribed to this list, I  read it through my browser)

I'm having problems in using regular floppies on my LS-120 drive, a zip-like
drive wich is also capable of reading usual 1.44M floppies.

This is how the drive gets recognised at boot time:
# dmesg

hdc: LS-120 SLIM3 00 UHD Floppy, ATAPI FLOPPY drive

If I try to load ide-floppy as a module, the kernel message is the following:
# modprobe ide-floppy

Jul 26 22:09:20 tiburzio kernel: hdc: 1440kB, 2880 blocks, 512 sector size
Jul 26 22:09:20 tiburzio kernel: hdc: 1440kB, 80/2/18 CHS, 150 kBps, 512
sector size, 720 rpm
Jul 26 22:09:21 tiburzio kernel:  hdc: unknown partition table
Jul 26 22:10:01 tiburzio kernel:  hdc: unknown partition table

If I try to make a dos filesystem on the floppy,
# mkdosfs /dev/hdc
mkdosfs 2.5 (07 Jan 2000)
mkdosfs: Will not try to make filesystem on '/dev/hdc'

If I try with an ext2 or  a tarfile, no problem, it'll do it.

I cannot make any boot floppy, though.
If I modify 'mkboot' brutally substituting /dev/fd0 with /dev/hdc, then it
tries to boot but it outputs an infinite series of  01 01 01 01....

In the end, how do I convince the kernel that what I have in my /dev/hdc is
infact a normal floppy disk? Do I have to make a device myself (how??!)
Do I have to pass on some boot parameters va LILO or via modprobe?

Thanks so much,
ciao
alberto.