WAY OT: gdb assistance w/imagemagick++?

Sorry for the OT posting I am somewhat afraid of posting to the
imagemagick list as a quick glance at it shows flame-o-rama and this
list has always been very helpful. I was hoping someone could confirm
the source of a problem for a c++ newb like myself.

Here goes, I have the following code

Image image(filename.GetData());
Geometry newsize(imgsize.width() / 2, imgsize.height() / 2 );
image.scale(newsize);
int numpixels = newsize.width() * newsize.height() * 3;
unsigned int newwidth;
newwidth = newsize.width();

gdb indicates a segfault on line 6 which seems to me that the problem is
with the width() function, right? it seems strange that that function
works fine on line 2 and then crashes on line 6. Does anyone have a
suggestion on how to gather more info on the cause of the problem.

Thanks,

Mark Roach