Re: [LONG] Some inquiries/comparisons between Ximian GNOME's Nautilus and Woody's, GNOME-related questions, lprng and magicfilter

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 10:27:14PM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> Upon upgrading my distribution to Woody from Potato some days ago, I
> noticed some apparent things, small details I think:
>
> *Ximian GNOME's Nautilus can open natively HTML files... even when I
> installed galeon-nautilus, when I clicked on an HTML file, it shows the
> raw HTML code. of course a work-around can be settled by modifying the
> default HTML viewer in the control panel, which opens a separate browser
> instead of viewing the HTML code natively in Nautilus.

Ximian (non-Debian package) compatibility is always issue :)
Sounds like MINE issue.  It can likely be fixed by user configuration.

> *When I copy text in an HTML page from Mozilla or Galeon unto
> OpenOffice.org, I noticed also that 1) I can't copy large chunks of text
> from Mozilla to OpenOffice.org and 2) It pastes raw HTML code unto OO.o.
> Back when I was using Potato with Ximian GNOME, problems 1 and 2 didn't
> occur. Problem number 2 can be worked around by using the "paste
> special" option in OO.o, but as I've mentioned earlier, this wasn't the
> default behavior in Ximian GNOME.

Sounds like another default configuration issue.  Debian package
overitten Ximian.

> *when I boot the machine, lprng doesn't work outright. I still needed to
> stop the daemon, kill the pid's associated with it, then restart lprng.
> A minor inconvenience, actually.

That's bad.  If this happens with non-Ximian contaminated machine, this
is bug woth reporting.

> *I have an HP Deskjet 670C printer, and I use magicfilter for the
> printer filters. Back in Potato the dj690c-* filters work well... but
> now it doesn't, even the dj670c-* doesn't work too. The deskjet filter
> works well, but it can only print b/w. Anyway, I installed magicfilter
> from Potato and the problem seems to have gone away...

That's bad.  If this happens with non-Ximian contaminated machine, this
is bug woth reporting.

> I'm already contemplating reinstalling Potato with Ximian GNOME and some
> backports to another box... I'm particularly not adamant with them...
> it's just that I've got some people here accustomed to Ximian GNOME's
> default behavior and they immediately noticed the changes. I'm really
> comfortable despite the changes (as I don't use GNOME myself), just some
> people here who aren't techies just don't like them (as I serve them all
> via XDMCP on a LAN not connected to the internet, with only the server
> box having intermitent internet access).

I would do chroot system and keep woody (pure) as main.  But that's my
taste.  Also learn to use /etc/apt/preferences by "man apt_preferences".

> Are there any work-arounds for the following issues?
>
> And, will the following lines in /etc/apt/sources.list still work
> (should I bother installing a Potato box with Ximian GNOME)
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib
> non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org potato/updates main contrib non-free

Should be...

> Don't get me wrong... I like Woody better now that it's in stable (no
> need to backport as Woody's apt supports pinning and mixed
> distributions). I'm not putting down the people who did all the work
> (while I just freely downloaded and used their software... so I really
> got no right to rant :) Ximian did a good job too by smoothening the
> looks of their version of GNOME (though I encountered some minor
> inconveniences when I did the update back then... which is totally my
> job as a sysadmin to settle without creating massive downtime and angry
> howls from my clients :)

If I were you, I would do following as stop gap:

Install potato with Ximian as you did to new partition.

Do partial upgrade to woody (Do not bother large packages!)

  apt
  libc6

Set up /etc/apt/preferences so no package from Ximian will be touched.

Then upgrade :)  My guide below or its updated draft at may be useful.

 http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/index.en.html

(French version is same as DDP below.  So set your browser to English,
please)

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.