Re: keyboard layout in xterm and console

Colin Watson wrote:
On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 03:46:00PM +0200, Stefan Bellon wrote:

Johan Ehnberg wrote:

I tried another way (which is not recommended in the Euro HOWTO):

/etc/environment:

LANG=fi_FI@euro

[snip]

This might help you a bit on the way. I don't know about the messages
in German, but I get them in English this way.

Sorry, I get the man pages in German then. Unacceptable.

Then you should set LC_MESSAGES=C, which overrides LANG. (LC_MESSAGES
doesn't override LC_ALL, though.)

Yes, this works for me. And by specifying all LC_*'s but LC_ALL in /etc/envirinment I got xterm working with scands, too.

Now my /etc/environment looks like

LANG=C
LC_CTYPE=fi_FI@euro
LC_NUMERIC=fi_FI@euro
LC_TIME=fi_FI@euro
LC_COLLATE=fi_FI@euro
LC_MONETARY=fi_FI@euro
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER=fi_FI@euro
LC_NAME=fi_FI@euro
LC_ADDRESS=fi_FI@euro
LC_TELEPHONE=fi_FI@euro
LC_MEASUREMENT=fi_FI@euro
LC_IDENTIFICATION=fi_FI@euro

And 'locale' in ANY terminal or console gives the same.

Stefan: You might try replacing all "fi_FI" instances with "de_DE", and see if this could fix your man page problem (NOTE: LC_MESSAGES=C).

This also fixed a problem where backspace printed some weird stuff in the login prompt.

BUT: One thing got even more messed up now: euro support. Now I am unable to print the euro symbol in both X and consoles/terminals. Even the euro-test program can't make it work (it did before).

Another thing is funny, though: my slashes (/ and \) are as high as non-capital letters, cute! :).

Thanks everyone for your help!
I sent a short note about separating keymap and language during package configuration to Ben Collins.

--
Johan Ehnberg
johan@ehnberg.net