Re: About to give up: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

This one time, at band camp, marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp said:

>     Ken> The other error I noticed in log was: "failed to load kernel
>     Ken> module "r128" but perhaps that's best left for later.

There is a kernel module for r128 and DRI, and agpgart as weel.  If you
have an AGP card, and want accelerated graphics, you'll have to compile
the modules, or compile them into the kernel.  kpkg does a very nice job
of this if you're running a stock debian kernel, or if you've never done
this sort of thing.  Note that these options are only available in 2.4.x
kernels.  If you don't want to upgrade your kernel, X should run just
fine without it, but you won't have accelerated graphics.

> Don't worry about that.  Unless you want to use the Radeon 128
> acclerated server.
>
>     Ken> Again thanks for any advice. I'm not sure by the way why it
>     Ken> want /dev/input/mice. Should that replace /dev/mouse?

It's looking for devfs, do you have it installed?  If not, change the
netry in XF86Config-4, as explained below.

> Yep, or where ever your mouse device is.  You'll have to edit
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and edit this section.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
>         Option          "CorePointer"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> change the "Device" line to point to your mouse device.  And change
> the "Protoc0l" to whatever is approprate.  Try the default first and
> if it doesn't work, take a peak at the follow webpage:
>
> http://www.xfree86.com/current/mouse.html
>
> You may want to take this whole section out of it's current place and
> place it up top, before the debconf controlled section.  This should
> keep things from getting rewritten everytime things get upgraded.  But
> I could be wrong.  Some one want to correct me on this one?

Looks good.
Steve
--
There is no act of treachery or mean-ness of which a political party
is not capable; for in politics there is no honour.