Re: About to give up: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

    Ken> The other error I noticed in log was: "failed to load kernel
    Ken> module "r128" but perhaps that's best left for later.

Don't worry about that.  Unless you want to use the Radeon 128
acclerated server.

    Ken> Again thanks for any advice. I'm not sure by the way why it
    Ken> want /dev/input/mice. Should that replace /dev/mouse?

Yep, or where ever your mouse device is.  You'll have to edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and edit this section.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

change the "Device" line to point to your mouse device.  And change
the "Protoc0l" to whatever is approprate.  Try the default first and
if it doesn't work, take a peak at the follow webpage:

http://www.xfree86.com/current/mouse.html

You may want to take this whole section out of it's current place and
place it up top, before the debconf controlled section.  This should
keep things from getting rewritten everytime things get upgraded.  But
I could be wrong.  Some one want to correct me on this one?

Good luck.

Marshal