Re: Some newbie questions

On 26 Jul 2002 15:37:56 -0700
"Shea J. Hawes" <shawes@eou.edu> wrote:

> I am new to Debian as of yesterday, and still fairly new to Linux in
> general.  I have mostly been using RedHat so when I set up Debian
> yesterday, there were some differences that are causing me some
> difficulty.  Number one, I can not log in as root with gdm.  The screen
> shakes and tells me to try again.

It's a _very_ bad idea to log into X as root.  Because of this, gdm (and
others) are configured not to allow root login.  For gdm, you can alter
this with gdmconfig, but I wouldn't advise doing this.

> fine.  Number two, I have not found a reliable way to get out of gdm
> when I want to shutdown.  RedHat just had the option from the menu in
> gdm to shutdown.

This is another item you can change with gdmconfig.  Not exactly sure why
it's not present, but I can hazard a few guesses.

I normally issue my shutdown request from either a normal console or an X
terminal.

--
Jamin W. Collins