Re: Release Pinning Broken? (was Re: testing=sarge be careful with updates!)

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:37:23 -0500 "Jamin W. Collins"
<jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:

> Turns out the problem was with the order of my "unstable" and
> "testing" entries.  Checking of all the packages to be updated
> indicated that unstable and testing had the exact same versions.  It
> appears that if two releases both have the desired version of a
> package, the first entry listed in your sources.list file when you
> last did and "apt-get update" is used, regardless of which release
> it's for.  I've submitted bug #154408 on this.

If the version is the same, isn't the package *exactly* the same? Then
why should it matter where it is downloaded from?

I've seen apt-get on my machine (tracking testing) sometimes fail the
download of a package from testing, and then try to download it from
unstable. Since it does this for packages that have the same version on
both distributions, shouldn't this be regarded as a feature instead of a
bug?

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/