Re: About to give up: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

Craig Dickson wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Ken Januski wrote:

X still doesn't start because of the "unable to get status of mouse
fd" error. Some research on the archives led me to suspect that was
related to gpm, something I'm not that familiar with. Based on what I
read I don't need gpm since I use X and so I killed gpm. But still
the errors continued.

At this point the only clue I have as to how to proceed is in regard to the
mouse. I've fiddled with its settings in /dev, trying various links   since
I no longer remember what it was when it worked. At one point after I'd
linked /dev/mouse to /tty0 I think, X no longer gave me the errors. But at
the same time it immediately shut down, i.e. it ran through all the startup
messages then said it was shutting down.
If it's true that your X problems are related to the mouse, I'd re-install gpm and make sure the mouse is working with gpm in the text console (don't worry about X for now - this is just to test to make sure the mouse and Linux get along together). I'm suspecting something's gone bad about your mouse/hardware.

It hardly seems likely that his mouse would suddenly die just when he
upgraded to Woody. That's a pretty wild coincidence.
Agreed. Nevertheless, it's the procedure I would follow. Since X complains about the mouse, I'd make sure the mouse works before wrestling with X.

He says he doesn't think he needs gpm, so the best thing to do would be
to remove it entirely and configure X to look at the mouse device
directly (/dev/psaux or whatever).
Which is what I'd do, _after_ making sure the mouse works via gpm. As I mentioned, I'd reinstall gpm just as a test of the hardware. Once it has been determined that the mouse works properly outside of X (and the proper location/protocol has been determined - it's not clear that he knows yet what these settings should be, and gpm will help him figure that out), I'd then remove gpm and configure X with that info. But of course, I do a lot of things wrongly, so your suggestion might be the better route.