Gnome 1.4 apps in Gnome2

I have successfully been running Gnome2 for several weeks now on my
desktop and on my laptop.  It's great!

Now I've acquired a new laptop and have installed debian unstable on
it.  I have copied the package list using dpkg (--get-selections |
--set-selections) to the new box and upgraded al the packages.
Everything works, but old gnome apps (evolution and galeon in
particular) are using HUGE fonts.  I can't control the fonts using the
gnome2 font config tool.

Is there a way to control the font size under gnome2?
--
Jim Harritt
ISE - Collaborative Computing