About to give up: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

I'm afraid I've had no luck and am afraid I may only be digging a deeper
hole for myself at this point. X was working beautifully for a year before I
upgraded. I did try to use the old XF86Config file but kept getting errors
about "/dev/mouse unable to get status of mouse fd (inappropriate ioctl for
device". I then got errors about "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: gmc not
found" and then "panel" not found. Those last two errors were from lines in
my Xsession file and I put them in so long ago I no longer remember what
they did. I believe they are what I needed to get GNOME to start.

I've commented them out and so don't get them anymore though X still doesn't
start because of the "unable to get status of mouse fd" error. Some research
on the archives led me to suspect that was related to gpm, something I'm not
that familiar with. Based on what I read I don't need gpm since I use X and
so I killed gpm. But still the errors continued.

At this point the only clue I have as to how to proceed is in regard to the
mouse. I've fiddled with its settings in /dev, trying various links   since
I no longer remember what it was when it worked. At one point after I'd
linked /dev/mouse to /tty0 I think, X no longer gave me the errors. But at
the same time it immediately shut down, i.e. it ran through all the startup
messages then said it was shutting down.

Though I've spoken highly of Debian in the past I'm coming to the conclusion
that it's only for people who have the time to learn every bit of arcana
regarding every bit of their software and hardware. There's something good
about that and I'm happy such a distribution exists. But I'm also realizing
I don't have the time to go through this every time I want to make a change
on my system and it may just not be the distribution for me. I'm going to
spend a few more days on this but if I don't get it fixed after that I may
have to try something else.