Re:Re: rexec - where are you? How to configure you?

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:55:22 +1000
Chris Kenrick <chrisk@aurema.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:24:25PM -0700, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just installed sucessfully 3.0 as a test in my quest for incremental
> > backups and a free backup system for multiple machines (bye-bye RH).
> > The software I run needs aside from rsh and rlogin rexec - only I
> > can't find that anywhare in the distribution - any hints as where to
> > sneek this up?
>
> I presume you mean the servers (rlogind, rshd and rexecd).  They can be
> found in the rsh-server package.
That's - IMHO - not correct, since I naturally had installed that and
saying "rexec" left me with a "bash: rexec: command not found" (while
"rsh" and "rlogin" evoce responses). A package-content search on the
debian page for "rexec" only comes up with one "/etc/pam.d/rexec" that
doesn't seem to be what I want (or is it?).

> However, if it all possible, try to use ssh instead of rexec and rsh.
> The changes to the software to do this would be minimal, and the
> security improvement is well worth the effort, IMHO.
I don't get that kind of choice, since the binary is all one gives me.

> > In redhat I used to activated the rsh/rlogin/rexec-combo by editing
> > /etc/xinetd.d/rlogin, rsh and rexec. Am I correct that the whole block
> > from those files goes into the xinetd.conf in debian.
I'll try this myself, but could people please comment on this?

Thanks, Joh