Re: rexec - where are you? How to configure you?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:24:25PM -0700, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just installed sucessfully 3.0 as a test in my quest for incremental
> backups and a free backup system for multiple machines (bye-bye RH).
> The software I run needs aside from rsh and rlogin rexec - only I can't
> find that anywhare in the distribution - any hints as where to sneek this
> up?

I presume you mean the servers (rlogind, rshd and rexecd).  They can be
found in the rsh-server package.

However, if it all possible, try to use ssh instead of rexec and rsh.
The changes to the software to do this would be minimal, and the
security improvement is well worth the effort, IMHO.

> In redhat I used to activated the rsh/rlogin/rexec-combo by editing
> /etc/xinetd.d/rlogin, rsh and rexec. Am I correct that the whole block
> from those files goes into the xinetd.conf in debian.

If you _really_ want to still use rsh/rexec, check out what gets
installed along with the rsh-server package, and that should answer your
question.

- Chris