Re: pppoe

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 08:34:38PM -0700, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Question:
>
> When making a PPPoE connection I need to have the netmask for ppp0 be
> 255.255.255.248
>
> Every time I connect, however, I get 255.255.255.255
>
> What do I need to do to get the netmask I need?

>From pppd manual, you have an option (/etc/ppp/options):

       netmask n
              Set  the  interface  netmask  to n, a 32 bit netmask in "decimal
              dot" notation (e.g. 255.255.255.0).  If this  option  is  given,
              the  value  specified  is  ORed  with  the default netmask.  The
              default netmask is chosen based  on  the  negotiated  remote  IP
              address; it is the appropriate network mask for the class of the
              remote IP address, ORed with the netmasks for any non  point-to-
              point  network  interfaces  in  the system which are on the same
              network.   (Note:  on  some  platforms,  pppd  will  always  use
              255.255.255.255 for the netmask, if that is the only appropriate
              value for a point-to-point interface.)

or you can hack it so it is the netmask you want

ifconfig ppp0 netmask <new net mask>

after ppp0 is up.

- Adam