Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

Colin Watson wrote:

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:42:43AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

Going back to the original subject, it's always struck me that the
collision between plain-text line-wrapping ('>>>>>' crap) and screen
width is actually one of the best arguments for HTML mail!

At some point of multiple nesting, plain-text wrapping will exceed a
fixed width of 72 or 80 characters, and there's really nowhere to go.

vim's gq command can reformat quoted text neatly - I know pico's ^J
command can do it too, I'm sure other editors can manage. This seems
like a pretty nice solution to that problem to me.

I run gq over the content of all the mails I write before sending them
pretty much without thinking now.

Hmmm...  Hey, that's pretty neat; didn't know it could do that.

I see that NS6 on Windows will do some of this kind of rewrapping too, if you tell it to.

I still think the system of plain-text quoting is a bit kludgy and ugly, but it works, and, no, I'm not enthusiastic about HTML mail.