Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

Craig Dickson wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>

>>Please set your Mozilla "create email" window to wrap at
>>column 72.  That also is "standard".  (So that multiple
>>replies don't cause line to exceed column 72, I keep my
>>lines to 65 columns, but that's just preference...)
>>

> The point of limiting original text to 72 columns is that you can have a
> few layers of reply text before the original gets pushed out past 80
> columns.

Going back to the original subject, it's always struck me that the
collision between plain-text line-wrapping ('>>>>>' crap) and screen
width is actually one of the best arguments for HTML mail!

At some point of multiple nesting, plain-text wrapping will exceed a fixed width of 72 or 80 characters, and there's really nowhere to go.

But look at the way Mozilla mail uses <BLOCKQUOTE> to nest replies, together with the way HTML naturally wraps flexibly. Quite nice, really.

Of course, it's gonna look ugly at some point in HTML as well, but that point is arguably more distant, using a variable-width font in a GUI-oriented client or browser window. And at least the message can be correctly formatted internally.

Problem is, far as I know, there's no *standard* for reply nesting in
HTML mail.