Debian 3r0 problems with IDE-SCSI

Ok, after much tweaking and hacking to get Debian 3r0 installed,
and fixing a number of weird little bugs, I ran up against one
that I cannot fix.

I have an IDE bus based CD-RW drive that used to work just fine
using the ide-scsi module just a few short days ago under
RedHat 7.2 (so, in short, the hardware is fine).

When I cleaned off my HDD and installed Debian, I already
knew the magic formula (append="hda=ide-scsi") to stick
into my lilo.conf, so I edited, re-liloed and rebooted.

And got a message indicating that the ide-scsi module did
not exist.  It was, indeed, on my HDD . . . but a moments
digging indicated that the Debian setup is based on initrd.

So, mount the initrd image, take a look, and sure enough,
the ide-scsi.o object file was not in the cramfs image.

So I mounted /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686, copied it entirely
to a new directory, copied the ide-scsi.o file into the proper
location in the new directory from my HDD, unmounted, used
mkcramfs to build a new image, overwriting the existing initrd
image, re-lilo-ed, and rebooted, confident that this would
solve the problem.

It didn't.  It still claims the module isn't there, and
worse, now it claims:

cramfs: wrong magic

Mind you, this last is AFTER it manages to boot from the
cramfs (initrd), but the message is still worrisome.

Anybody have any suggestions (clean, and physically possible
are preferred, of course! ;-) as to how to get my ide-scsi
module to load properly?

Anybody know where the "cramfs: wrong magic" message comes
from, and what it means?

Did the procedure I used seem to be correct?

Thanks in advance,
John S.