No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

First of all sorry for using Outlook. But the upgrade seems to have killed X
and Netscape which I use for email.

Anyway I used apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade, then apt-get
dist-upgrade fix-missing, when I was told some packages were missing.
Eventually I got to the point where it seemed all errors were taken care of.

But I guess these errors when running startx:

X: Unable to open wrapper config file /etc/X11/XWrapper.config
X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X no such file or directory
xinit: connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error

I wonder if this could have been caused by fact that I inadvertently had X
running on an alternate screen when running the update.

But my real question: How do I fix it?

Thanks for any ideas,

Ken