Re: Woody 3.0, bf24 and Promise PDC20267 controller

On Thursday 25 July 2002 02:25, Wm. G. McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:55:36 +0000
>
> Meir Kriheli <meir@mksoft.co.il> wrote:
> |Hi,
> |
> |I'm trying to install Debian 3.0 on a new server. The server has
> |normal prim/sec ide's and additional 2 ide's on a PDC20267 (on
> |board).
> |
> |I've connected a cdrom as master on secondary ide (hdc), and 2 hd's
> |connected to each promise ide.
> |
> |When booting from the cd, I'm using bf24 flavor of the kernel. The
> |problem is that I can't see the disks connected to the promise
> |controller, or the additional ide's for that matter.
> |
> |examining dmesg I can see that the controller is detected but later
> |I see an error like:
> |
> |neither ide is enabled (BIOS)
> |
> |Looking at the boards bios setup I can see that the controller is
> |enabled.
> |
> |I've tried passing ide2=_addr_of_controller_as_reported_by_bios and
> |ide3 params to the kernel as well as noapic but still no avail.
>
> What boot loader are you using?
> What about /etc/fstab?
> Have you adjusted both for hde and hdf?
> Does your bios have a secondary controller option?
> Did you adjust your CMOS if necessary?
> Are you sure the kernel is supporting the promise option? I don't
> know the BF24 so excuse me if I ask if you're sure it's enabled.
>
> 	bill

Everthing is setup OK an bf24 has promise (and ataraid) supoort compiled in.

Booting the machine with Gentoo's installation CD and modprobing for pdcraid
and ataraid detects everything just fine, so I guess it has something to do
with the kernel version provided with bf24 .

Looking at kernel_config I see that there's no mention of FORCE_BIOS_OVERRIDE.
Gentoo's kernel (which includes patches form -ac tree), has this option
compiled in.

I finally could boot it and evertyhing detected, passing correct values for
ide2 and ide3. But this raid is lame. I want a raid (level 1) that not only
backs up info, but keeps the system going as usuall even if one of the drives
dies, not giving timeout errors (this is what I've got with promise raid,
pulling the power from one of the drives while working).

I'll probably go with LSI Logic, I had good expereince with them in the past.

--
Meir Kriheli