Re: BIND alternatives

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Bind9 is designed with security in mind, it's functionally very
> similar to bind8, but on an entirely brand new code base.  Think of it
> as bind-without-suck 1.0

Yes.  Bind9 is a new animal.  It is backward compatible with bind8
which is good for those of us upgrading.  But it is a complete
rewrite.

[I find it humorous that you and probably others are avoiding it
because you think it similar to bind4 which was really bad about
security and bind8 which was generally pretty good but did have some
problems.  Meanwhile, folks like me that are familar with the old have
avoided bind9 specifically because it was a new and completely
different code base than bind8 instead of being an upgrade of it.]

Meanwhile, back at the debian ranch, put the security update directory
in your sources.list file, subscribe to any of the low volumn security
announcement mailing lists, then you can easily update if any problem
is found.  Hear of an advisory for any of the system components?
apt-get install to the security fixed version.  That is a strength of
debian which perhaps other systems do not enjoy and so the greater
problems for them when they are forced to update.

David Wright wrote:
> The complexity and that comes from trying to be able to do lots more
> than I need.

Hmm...  You don't have to use that complexity.  And if you don't then
it is pretty straight forward as a program.  As I mentioned in another
note, bind is the messenger for DNS.  DNS is DNS.  A system that
unites a global internet has been known to be a little much for
people.  But bind does a good job with it.  And the folks on the DNS
protocols mailing lists have always been responsive to questions.

Bob