Re: BIND alternatives

These are certainly reasonable questions.

> What's your intended use?  Do you want a caching nameserver for your home
> LAN, or are you hosting DNS for a major content provider?

The main users of DNS for the organizations I work for are client machines
within the organization and their email servers. Also we need some DNS to
act as an authority for our domains.

Currently we use our ISP's DNS servers for name resolution and the free
DNS services of www.mydomain.com as authorities our domains. This works
okay, but I would like to have the control and fast turnaround allowed by
running our own DNS.

> Also, what do you dislike about BIND?  If we know what you're trying to
> avoid, we can probably give you better answers.

The constant reports of new BIND vulnerabilities, related to the fact that
BIND was not designed with security in mind. The complexity and that comes
from trying to be able to do lots more than I need.