Re: Kernel panic. No init found

On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 08:39, Tim wrote:
> At 06:49 20/07/02 +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> >I think that reinstallation is probably your only viable option now.

I see nothing below to change my opinion!  I admire your ...
persistence.

> Sorry about the delay in my reply-normal life took over for a while.
>
> Progress has been made!  Now I can boot to a root prompt. I've had to
> recreate symbolic links for 35 files, in /lib, /usr/lib and
> /usr/X11R6/lib.  This took a while!  I located the most by typing 'find / |
> grep *.so*'; all broken links were identified by 'No such file or directory".
>
> But:  I haven't got X running as yet.  I don't know the significance of
> this error which I get during the boot phase:
>
> chmod: getting attributes of '/dev/ttyeb': Input/output error
> chown: getting attributes of '/dev/ttyeb': Input/output error

I don't know exactly what is going on here, but chmod and chown are
trying to read the inode of /dev/ttyeb to get information about it; that
read is failing, which indicates damage to the structure of the
filesystem itself, or damage to the /dev directory at least.  Does "ls
-l /dev" show sensible results?

> I'm wondering if there might be another area of libraries where links are
> broken?  The function 'more' is broken, with the following message:

Don't assume it is only links that are broken.

> /bin/more: -rwxr-xr-x: command not found

Do you have any idea of the context of that?

> I've attached my XFree86.0.log.  In my daemon.log, I get the message
>
> gdm_server_spawn: Xserver not found: /usr/bin/X11/X -deferglyphs 16
> -nolisten tcp

/etc/X11/X is a symlink to the installed X server.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver