Re: Kernel panic. No init found

At 01:17 20/07/02 +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
olly@linda$ ls -l /lib/ld-2.2.5.so /lib/libc-2.2.5.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        88578 Jul 17 04:52 /lib/ld-2.2.5.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1149584 Jul 17 04:52
/lib/libc-2.2.5.so

I've located the original files having seen your message; the problem was a name change in the symbolic link files (you may have noticed this-loss of one digit). I've corrected this by creating correctly named symbolic links, and the boot phase now goes past the 'No init found' message. So progress is being made!

But.  The boot process stops further on:

/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
(none) login: root
/bin/login: error while loading shared libraries:libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
(none) login: root

# ls -l /mnt/lib/libncurses.so.5
(obviously) No such file or directory

# ls -l /mnt/lib | more
gives one page of normal files, and from then on there is no readable information. Like if you were to try to view (using more) a binary file. It seems two thirds of the files in my /lib directory are corrupt, at least in their naming.

As a consequence I'm wondering if its going to come to a reinstall? I do suspect all the libraries are intact but deciphering them may be beyond me. Any suggestions? (bedtime now)

TIA, Tim