Re: Kernel panic. No init found

At 06:49 20/07/02 +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
I think that reinstallation is probably your only viable option now.

Sorry about the delay in my reply-normal life took over for a while.

Progress has been made! Now I can boot to a root prompt. I've had to recreate symbolic links for 35 files, in /lib, /usr/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib. This took a while! I located the most by typing 'find / | grep *.so*'; all broken links were identified by 'No such file or directory".

But: I haven't got X running as yet. I don't know the significance of this error which I get during the boot phase:

chmod: getting attributes of '/dev/ttyeb': Input/output error
chown: getting attributes of '/dev/ttyeb': Input/output error

I'm wondering if there might be another area of libraries where links are broken? The function 'more' is broken, with the following message:

/bin/more: -rwxr-xr-x: command not found

I've attached my XFree86.0.log.  In my daemon.log, I get the message

gdm_server_spawn: Xserver not found: /usr/bin/X11/X -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp

I'm immensly grateful for any help that might come my way.  Thank you!  :-)

Tim