Re: why is the Gnome desktop environment so slow!!!

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 07:29:32AM -0700, Armenteros Roberto wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All major distributions always refer to Gnome as the
> Desktop environment of choice. I really cant
> understand why this is so since this is such a slow
> environment. Graphics are nice, but performance is
> really bad. The drawing capabilities are so poor.
> Windows take forever to open. Nautilius is just a
> heavy old rino. "I have an NVidia GeForce 2 Ti which
> is supposed to handle graphics like cake." If you guys
> do anything to the gnome environment to make it faster
> or have found a good alternative to Nautilius please
> let me know. Not that I am going to abandon BlackBox
> "I would never do so" but sometimes my sister wants to
> use my computer and she needs an easy environment.
> "When she uses Gnome she is always complaining..." I
> already gave up with KDE by the way.
>
>   Thanks for your help...
I love Gnome, but I agree it's slow. I have a 500MHz Celeron laptop
with 128 megs RAM: not exactly a dream system, but still...
I can (and do) use Gnome without too much annoyance, but for a
while I was trying to use things like Nautilus and Evolution--once they
fired up (with Galeon running) the system was basically unusable.

A file manager I like quite a bit is gentoo (no, not the distro).
It's lightweight, and very configurable. The UI is a lot different
from the Nautilus/Explorer way of looking at the filesystem, but is way
more powerful IMO.

James