Re: 120GB Hard Disk, Debian and Partition Suggestions

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 12:28, nick lidakis wrote:

> What are the general recommendations for large hard disk and Debian
> workstations?  Most of my software is installed via apt-get. Does

There are no 'general recommandations'.

Here's what I would do:

swap - 1G
/home - as much as you need * 2
/ - 15G or something like that

And that's it. lilo (or grub) should be able to cope with the disk, so
no need for /boot. For a workstation, most issues that would suggest
splitting off /usr or /var or /usr/local or /tmp or whatever are not
that relevant.

I would, however, leave the rest of your disk unpartitioned, so that you
always can split off parts of your filesystem when you need more space.
It is no problem splitting off /var (a an example), just boot into
single-user mode, repartition, edit fstab, copy the files and reboot.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                         http://fortytwo.ch/gpg