Re: Mozilla and Java problems

Larry Smith wrote:
I've finally found and installed (with considerable
help) the required plugin to activate Java in Mozilla.

Here's the strangeness that's left.

In my .mozilla/default/pref.js file, I must hand edit
the user_pref("security.enable_java", true) entry,
setting to true.  The next time I run Mozilla, java
will in fact work (mostly, details will follow).  But
when I exit Mozilla and re-examine the pref.js file,
the security.enable.java entry is missing entirely. So next time I run Mozilla, Java doesn't work, and
won't till I hand edit the pref.js file again.

When working, I can load any of the JDK demo applets
and they work.  The Yahoo chat applet even works.  But
if I go, for example, to www.datek.com and try to open
an account, their applet won't work (it will work,
however, in my old Netscape 4.75).

Caveat: I'm an unstable debian newbie of two weeks (linux 4 years). I just added this to my /etc/apt/sources.list and java works with the debian version of mozilla "out of the box" (no manual link required). Went to www.datek.com and the application form came up fine.

deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian woody non-free

do an apt-get update and then apt-get install j2re1.3 . Note the line wraps.

Bob Scott
--
Composed and sent by Mozilla running in the Linux
operating system.  Certified Microsoft virus free!