Mozilla and Java problems

I've finally found and installed (with considerable
help) the required plugin to activate Java in Mozilla.

Here's the strangeness that's left.

In my .mozilla/default/pref.js file, I must hand edit
the user_pref("security.enable_java", true) entry,
setting to true.  The next time I run Mozilla, java
will in fact work (mostly, details will follow).  But
when I exit Mozilla and re-examine the pref.js file,
the security.enable.java entry is missing entirely.
So next time I run Mozilla, Java doesn't work, and
won't till I hand edit the pref.js file again.

When working, I can load any of the JDK demo applets
and they work.  The Yahoo chat applet even works.  But
if I go, for example, to www.datek.com and try to open
an account, their applet won't work (it will work,
however, in my old Netscape 4.75).

Any suggestions?