Re: apt-get kernel question

At 11:16 PM 7/20/02, you wrote:
On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 23:39, Chris Jenks wrote:
> A little while back I used apt-get to upgrade my kernel to 2.4.18 on my
> laptop. Since then, when ever I do an apt-get upgrade the kernel is
> upgraded as well.  I want to build my own kernel from source now
> since there are some issues that I'm having with the pre-built kernel.
>
> Is there a way to set it up so when I upgrade the kernel won't be, and
> it won't remove the kernel at all? I was thinking apt-get remove, but if
> I understand it correctly that would remove the kernel as well.

If Im not mistaken.  apt-get upgrade will only upgrade kernels supplied
by debian.  Kernels made by make-kpkg will stay on your system till you
remove them.  I have been using make-kpkg since Ive used debian.  I
still have some of my first kernel laying around(maybe I should go clean
them out).  apt has yet to upgrade any of them even though there are
2.4.18 and 2.4.17 kernels in there.

I'm not worried about the new one being overwritten, I just don't want the
old one to be upgraded. Why waste the bandwidth if you don't have to?
If I build one from source it'll be 2.14.18 (the same one I downloaded)
and I can link them so even if I do an apt-get remove the one I build in
theory would be safe. I'm just curious how to set it up so the one I used
apt-get to get won't be upgraded (repeated myself), since I won't be
using it.

Chrisj