Re: aha152x module installation

Tom Allison wrote:
> I could really use some help here. I have a stock K7
> kernel (2.4.18) and am trying to modprobe an Adaptec
> AVA-1505A SCSI (scsi-I) card. The previous owner (linux
> dude) gave me his lilo config as: io=0x140 irq=10
> scsiid=7
>
> I have tried that using modconf and modprobe (modprobe
> aha152x io=0x140 irq=10 scsiid=7) and have succeeded in
> accomplishing the following: rebooted my machine about 15
> times after a total lock-up! numerous 'device not found'
> errors.

Exactly why would notifying the kernel or linux that the
SCSI ID of the card is 7 be necessary? I have an Adaptec
1510A (no BIOS) and I used 'insmod aha152x io=0x340 irq=9'
(I imagine that modprobe would have worked too) I added a
line like that to /etc/modules as well (the 686 version of
2.4.18). I'm not saying that's wrong, I just don't see why
it is necessary.

> I have tried this with and without BIOS PnP disabled. I
> have assigned the irq=10 as ISA and even added a DMA from
> time to time (DMA is not required according to the docs).

If the card has a BIOS, have you tried not doing anything
and just letting it boot up? I also have a 1542 (or 1540) on
a different machine and between the BIOS and the kernel it
seems to sort itself out (mind you that is with a 2.2 kernel
on a potato box and the system is booting from an attached
drive), as does my 2940UW on this machine (again, booting
from an attached SCSI drive, and, yes, there are two SCSI
cards on this box :) ).

> Under modconf I have selected that aha152x module and
> added the options as follows: '0x140,10,7,1' or 'io=0x140
> irq=10 scsiid=7 reconnect=1' and I get nothing
> substantive.

Even though you were given the settings I'd still take a
look at the jumpers to see if they're correct. Also, many
network cards (both PCI & ISA) seem to like irq 10, so check
for possible irq conflicts (I think the factory default for
Adaptec ISA SCSI cards was irq 9, for PCI it seems to be 11).

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV