Re: apt-get kernel question

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 05:00, Chris Jenks wrote:
> I'm not worried about the new one being overwritten, I just don't want the
> old one to be upgraded. Why waste the bandwidth if you don't have to?
> If I build one from source it'll be 2.14.18 (the same one I downloaded)
> and I can link them so even if I do an apt-get remove the one I build in
> theory would be safe. I'm just curious how to set it up so the one I used
> apt-get to get won't be upgraded (repeated myself), since I won't be
> using it.

Make sure that your version number is greater than any that will be
produced by the Debian package maintainer.  Use revision=local.1 (or
anything alphabetical) in make-kpkg and your version will automatically
be greater than the maintainer's, since he uses 2.4.18-x.

    olly@linda$ dpkg --compare-versions local.1 gt 2.4.18
    olly@linda$ echo $?
    0

In any case, there are no kernel images in stable with their name only
"kernel-image-2.4.18"; they all have architecture suffixes:

 kernel-image-2.4.18-386 2.4.18-5
   Linux kernel image for version 2.4.18 on 386.
 kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc 2.4.18-5
   Linux kernel image for version 2.4.18 on Pentium-Classic.

so there will in fact be no conflict at all with your local packages.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver