aha152x module installation

I could really use some help here.
I have a stock K7 kernel (2.4.18) and am trying to modprobe an Adaptec AVA-1505A SCSI (scsi-I) card.
The previous owner (linux dude) gave me his lilo config as:
io=0x140
irq=10
scsiid=7

I have tried that using modconf and modprobe (modprobe aha152x io=0x140 irq=10 scsiid=7) and have succeeded in accomplishing the following:
rebooted my machine about 15 times after a total lock-up!
numerous 'device not found' errors.

I have tried this with and without BIOS PnP disabled.
I have assigned the irq=10 as ISA and even added a DMA from time to time (DMA is not required according to the docs).

Under modconf I have selected that aha152x module and added the options as follows:
'0x140,10,7,1' or 'io=0x140 irq=10 scsiid=7 reconnect=1'
and I get nothing substantive.

--
Tom Allison