Debian GNU/Linux 3.0: release question

It's great news that woody is now a stable release.
One thing I don't understand, though - I used to
check the page:
http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical
to try to get an idea of how woody was progressing,
and in the weeks before the actual release, the
number of release-critical bugs on that page had
about doubled, from its low point, to 186
release-critical bugs on July 19. So I was
surprised to see the release happen when it
did.
What exactly are "release-critical" bugs
in Debian terminology?