Re: vimrc for perl programming

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 09:22:08AM +1000, mdevin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 19:43:08 +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 10:51:20AM +1000, mdevin wrote:
> > > Can people make some suggestions on vimrc entries for programming,
> > > syntax highlighting, automatic indenting etc.  My current entries work
> > > OK for C, C++, Java etc. but not perl.  I guess I only need to add the
> > > .pl and .cgi extensions to the autocommand sections to get this to work.
> > > However, I am interested in what others use.  Particularly, there is
> > > some autodetection ability I think, so that if I don't give the files
> > > .pl or .cgi extensions, it still performs OK.
> > >
> > > I have the following entries in my vimrc for programming stuff:
> > > [ snip ]
> > >
> > > Suggestions welcome.
> >
> > How you tried how things work without the autocommands? I only have
> > indent and tabstop settings and such in my .vimrc, and gvim recognizes
> > perl with and without the .pl extension out-of-the-box (I would guess it
> > uses the #! line for detection). I just tested with vim, and putting
> >
> I am finding it very hard going understanding how the autocmnd stuff
> works.  From what I could figure, it seems as though the autocmnd things
> are based on the file extensions.  Yet I know that vim recognises a perl
> file regardless of what its extension is.  How do you tell vim to do the
> indenting based on the auto recognition?
>
> Mate! setting up your .vimrc is more complex than writing a whole c,
> perl, or java program yourself.
>
> I was hoping that some of the guru programmers on this list could post
> their vimrc files so I could get some ideas - particularly with
> reference to perl, java, and C/C++ programming.
>
> If anyone has their vimrc set up well for programming, please post some
> suggestions, as I am flailing here.

What I meant to say was: Debian's default vimrc (in /etc/vim/vimrc,
AFAICS) is already set up very well for programming (including perl), at
least in Woody (You _are_ using Debian, aren't you?). All I have in my
~/.vimrc is:

    version 6.0
    set nocompatible
    map ,g ,f,e
    map ,f :files
    map ,e :e#
    set autoindent
    set backspace=2
    set hidden
    set hlsearch
    set report=0
    set ruler
    set shiftwidth=4
    set smarttab
    set softtabstop=4
    set viminfo='50,
    set visualbell
    set textwidth=75
    set nowrap
    syntax on

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz5 #1 Sun Jun 2 15:16:44 CEST 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands