Re: 120GB Hard Disk, Debian and Partition Suggestions

messmate wrote:

> IMHO NEVER replace 2 HD's by 1 !
> A HD hnadles only 4 prim partitions or 3 + 1 extended.
> 2 HD's handles 8 prim part or 6 prim and 2 extended.

I don't see your point. Within an "extended" partition, several logical
partitions can be created, so you're not actually limited to four
filesystems per hard disk. Do you just dislike extended partitions for
some reason?

In fact, the limitation of four primary partitions per hard disk is just
a property of the MBR program. It wouldn't be difficult (surely it must
have been done somewhere?) to support more than four primary partitions,
though this would annoy some system utilities that expect to look at the
first sector and see a partition table in the common format.

Craig