Re: Modifying a source package for a custom install

Colin, Thanks for the quick reply.

Colin wrote:
> What you've done is pretty much fine. You probably want to add an entry
> to the top of debian/changelog so that the version number of the .deb
> that's produced is different from any in the archive; exactly what you
> pick depends on how you want upgrading to behave.

It's not really fine. My changes to the Apache configure process was lost and Apache was installed into the usual locations.

Since I wouldn't want it to ever be upgraded by apt-get, I'd like to change the name rather than the version number.

>>I don't really need to produce a .deb file. Is anything lost if I cd to
>>'build-tree/apache' and do 'make install' after the 'build' step?
>
> If you do that, you probably want to customize the build process so that
> it installs into /usr/local (or /opt if you prefer that). Those
> directories won't be scribbled over by Debian packages, while if you
> install into /usr without using a .deb a later package installation may
> overwrite your changes.

I want everything to go under /home/httpd (highly un-standard I know). Running 'make install' works with few surprises, but I lose some of the niceties of the install process like post install scripts.

Rich