Re: 120GB Hard Disk, Debian and Partition Suggestions

nick lidakis wrote:
> I just purchased a 120GB Hard Disk to use with debian.
> Most of the HOWTO's I have read at Linux Documentation
> Project deal with small (~2GB) disks. What are the
> general recommendations for large hard disk and Debian
> workstations?  Most of my software is installed via
> apt-get. Does partitioning order matter? Should I keep
> /usr and  /home next to each other so that I can later
> resize with gnuparted? My current setup with a 40GB drive
> are as follows:
>
> charlene:/home/nick# mount /dev/hda2 on / type ext3
> (rw,errors=remount-ro) proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/hda5 on /tmp type ext3 (rw) /dev/hda6 on /var type
> ext3 (rw) /dev/hda7 on /usr type ext3 (rw) /dev/hda4 on
> /home type ext3 (rw) usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type
> usbdevfs (rw) charlene:/home/nick# Any suggestions or
> comments appreciated.

Because of the presence of apt archives in Debian and out of
a desire to keep /var as small as possible, I opted to make
a seperate partition for /var/cache/apt so that all incoming
debs are downloaded there. This also has the advantage of
allowing for a major upgrade by temporarily mounting a
different (larger) partition there if necessary (I'm sure this is
possible anyway, but it strikes me that employing a
permanent partition mount point there will make that a
little easier). However, with such an enormous disk you can
probably "afford" to make /var large enough to handle an
upgrade without being concerned that some runaway process
will take up the entire disk.

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV