Re: solved: new custom kernel dies at beginning of boot

Ronald Castillo wrote:
On Friday 19 July 2002 11:02, Paul Scott wrote:

I just used make-kpkg to build my first kernel (2.4.18), without someone
watching me, .  Lilo begins to load it and I get something like:

boot ................

and then the machine tries to reboot.

Using a rescue CD I don't find any log files (at least in /var/log) with
any information.  It doesn't look like the boot has gotten anywhere far
enough to write error messages anyway.

I was following the instructions in the debianREADME.

Lilo should be close to correct since I can boot to my old kernel.  The
various make processes terminated normally.

Any clues as to how to diagnose this or any guesses as to what I might
have missed.

TIA,

Paul Scott

That always happens to me when I choose a wrong processor type. Maybe you could check that?

Thanks.  It's running right now!

I had PIII-Celeron selected and this is a K6II

I used "make menuconfig" the first time and "make xconfig" to find and fix the problem. "make xconfig" is much cleaner but it would not let me make any setting for "parallel port support"/"Support for PCMCIA management for PC-style ports." I had to ge back to make menuconfig to change that. I'll have to see if that needs a bug report.

Thanks again,

Paul