2nd try: new custom kernel dies at beginning of boot

I just used make-kpkg to build my first kernel (2.4.18), without someone
watching me, .  Lilo begins to load it and I get something like:

boot ................

and then the machine tries to reboot.

Using a rescue CD I don't find any log files (at least in /var/log) with
any information.  It doesn't look like the boot has gotten anywhere far
enough to write error messages anyway.

I was following the instructions in the debianREADME.

Lilo should be close to correct since I can boot to my old kernel.  The
various make processes terminated normally.

Any clues as to how to diagnose this or any guesses as to what I might
have missed.

TIA,

Paul Scott