Modifying a source package for a custom install

All,
I'm trying to modify a source package (apache-ssl) so that it will install with a different directory layout. Here is basically what I've done:

$ apt-get source apache-ssl
$ apt-get build-dep apache-ssl
$ dpkg-source -x apache-ssl*.dsc    # The actual file name is ugly.
$ cd apache-ssl*/
$ debian/rules source.make          # Extract the sources
$ vi build-tree/apache_1.3.26/config.layout  # Used by Apache's
                                      # configure script to put directory
                                      # paths in to 'Makefile's.
                                      # I changed the "Debian" layout.
$ debian/rules build                # Compile Apache
$ debian/rules binary               # Make a .deb package
$ cd ..;dpkg -i apache-ssl*.deb     # Install the package

The result was a nice package that wouldn't install due to a dependency on apache-common. so, I repeated the above procedure with the Apache source package. This time my newly compiled apache-common*.deb installs into the standard Debian locations.

I've got a number of questions. Some of them generic to customizing source packages, some of them specific to apache-ssl.

Is there a standard/documented way of customizing source packages?

Am I taking the wrong approach entirely? How should I be doing it? What did I miss?

I don't really need to produce a .deb file. Is anything lost if I cd to 'build-tree/apache' and do 'make install' after the 'build' step?

building apache-common seems redundant after building apache-ssl for a custom install. Must I do both?

I can think of a few packages I'd like to make more minor changes to (compiler flags & such) how should I do that in the "proper Debian way"?

Thanks,
RichB.

P.S. I'm an old unix hack, linux novice, and brand spankin' new to Debian. I love Debian so far. Please don't tell me not to modify apache like above unless you've got a really really really good argument.