Re: Grub or Lilo?

In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 03:28:33PM +0100, Emil H wrote:
>> I run Woody and have always run Lilo as bootloader.
>> I have now heard of Grub.
>> What are Grubs advantages/disadvantages over Lilo?
>
> Grub understands a lot of filesystems. You can take a Grub floppy and
> use it to boot up a system that it completely messed up -- or even a
> system you've never seen before. You can look at files on the
> filesystems prior to booting, and figure out what settings to use based
> on your searching of the filesystems. Those are the features I've found
> most useful.

At a more basic level, Grub is interactive: it has a command
prompt a whole slew of commands it understands.  You don't have
to "build in" pre-configured choices with an installer utility.

If you want, Grub will read a menu configuration file when it
starts up and present you with a menu where each choice
executes a pre-defined series of commands.

I find Grub's support for serial console much easier to use
than Lilo's (Grub will support both video/keyboard and serial
at the same time).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My ELBOW is a remote
                                  at               FRENCH OUTPOST!!