Re: Post install partitioning

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk>
To: "alex" <radsky@ncia.net>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 1:03 AM
Subject: Re: Post install partitioning

> On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 23:52, alex wrote:

Yes,  I am a beginner who can needs needs help to fill in the gaps for
which I thank you and the others.   I do go to man pages when I have a
question but often that leads to more questions so I end up going in a
dozen directions at the same time.

> I remember a dreadful example from a client many years back: he wanted
> to delete some files in the root directory (/) whose names began with
&,
> so, as superuser, he entered "rm -rf /&*".  He had forgotten, or never
> learnt, that '&' means run the preceding command in the background.
He

That just went into my notebook in large letters.   TU

> didn't realise what he had done until his command deleted some files
> that the O/S needed to keep running.  When we tried to put his system
> back together, we found that he had never checked that his backups
were
> restorable - they failed at the tape boundaries.
>
> > >     # rm -rf .             # delete it from the old filesystem
> > >     # umount /mnt          # remove the new partition from /mnt
> > >     # mount /dev/hdc1 /var # and put it in its new position
> > >
> > >     Edit /etc/fstab to insert the line for mounting /var
> > automatically.
> >
> > I can edit but this one stops me....It's probably simple but I
> > have no idea of what to type in /etc/fstab.
>
> Read up on it:
>  $ man 5 fstab
>
> Mine says:
> /dev/sda1 /var ext2 defaults 0 2
The example helped tremendously.   I'll work on adapting it to my needs.

> > >     Go to multi-user mode again.
> > >
> > > All paths in /var will be unchanged and no action is required.
The
> > > entry in /etc/fstab will ensure that /var is mounted when the
system
> > > comes up and everything will be as it was before, but with more
space.

> > Does making the new partititions and trasferring data to them from /
> > result in
> > unusable large vacancies in /?   What can be done about this?
>
> Not the way I have described.  The command "rm -rf ." deletes
everything
> in the current directory, which, if you have followed the example, is
> the one from which you are moving data.  That space immediately
becomes
> available in the root filesystem.
>
> When you mount another partition on a directory, you hide all the
> existing contents of that directory, so you would lose the space if
you
> did the mount of the new partition without deleting the contents of
the
> mountpoint directory first.  In fact, that means that you can check
that
> your new partition is working correctly without destroying the old
> data.  When you are happy that you have got it right, unmount the
> partition, delete the contents of the mountpoint (which you have
copied
> to the new partition) and then remount the partition.
>
> If any process has a file open in the old partition, that file's space
> will not be released until that process exits.  (That's why, in the
case
> of /var, I suggest doing this in single-user mode -- files in /var/log
> are held open by some processes and other processes, such as exim, may
> add to or create files in /var while you are copying it.)

Thank you------something to mull over.

Alex

Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk