Re: Setting up a new server.

Here is how I solved this problem: May be this will be useful for somebody in future.

Connected the disk of P4 Computer to P3 computer as /dev/hdc.
booted into old machine. Partitioned the /dev/hdc. and then mounted all the partitions on /newdisk.
then used:

mkdir /newdisk
mkfs -t ext3 -b 4096 /dev/hdc1
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc1 /newdisk
mkdir /newdisk/usr /newdisk/tmp /newdisk/var /newdisk/home

mkfs -t ext3 -b 4096 /dev/hdc5
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc5 /newdisk/usr

mkfs -t ext3 -b 4096 /ev/hdc6
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc6 /newdisk/var

mkfs -t ext3 -b 4096 /dev/hdc7
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc7 /newdisk/tmp

mkfs -t ext3 -b 4096 /dev/hdc8
mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc8 /newdisk/home

cp -ax / /newdisk
cp -ax /usr /newdisk
cp -ax /var /newdisk
cp -ax /home /newdisk

I didn't bother to copy /tmp.

Then in the /newdisk/etc/modules I adjusted the entries to match the hardware of the new computer. The only
difference was an intel eepro100 in place of a tulip card.

I use grub, and could not get grub to install on /dev/hdc. It always complained that /dev/hdc is not
recognized by BIOS. So I created a boot floppy which will boot from /dev/hda1 as root.

Shutdown P3 machine. Took out the new disk out and put it back in P4 machine.

booted with P4 with floppy. Worked!

Then I installed grub on /dev/hda. And just to test it worked, rebooted...
Everything went smooth... I have not noticed any problems yet. This is wonderful!
The whole operation took about an hour.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions...

-nak