Re: Post install partitioning

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk>
To: "alex" <radsky@ncia.net>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: Post install partitioning

> Suppose you want to create a new partition for /var:
>
>     Boot into single-user mode - this is because with /var you will be
>     deleting stuff that is currently in use in a multi-user
>     environment.  It isn't necessary if you're moving /home or the
like.

>     # cfdisk /dev/hdc      # partition new hard disk

hdc???   I think my hdc is for CDROM but I do have / installed on hdb.
Can't I just make additional partitions for /var and the others on hdb
or hda
with appropriate partition numbers?

>     # mke2fs /dev/hdc1     # Make a file system on new partition
>     # mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt # mount it on /mnt
>     # cd /var              # don't forget this or the next commands
>                            # will destroy everything
>     # cp -a . /mnt         # copy the filetree to the new filesystem

Is the period a typo or does it belong here and in the next command?

>     # rm -rf .             # delete it from the old filesystem
>     # umount /mnt          # remove the new partition from /mnt
>     # mount /dev/hdc1 /var # and put it in its new position
>
>     Edit /etc/fstab to insert the line for mounting /var
automatically.

I can edit but this one stops me....It's probably simple but I
have no idea of what to type in /etc/fstab.

>     Go to multi-user mode again.
>
> All paths in /var will be unchanged and no action is required.  The
> entry in /etc/fstab will ensure that /var is mounted when the system
> comes up and everything will be as it was before, but with more space.

Does making the new partititions and trasferring data to them from /
result in
unusable large vacancies in /?   What can be done about this?

Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk