Re: a question on performance

On Thursday 18 July 2002 04:39 pm, martin f krafft wrote:
> what could be the reason that my X (4.1, Woody, ATI Radeon card with
> VESA driver) is not as performant as it could be on a 1.2GHz PIII
> with 1Gb of RAM? Every now and then when scrolling through a document
> in vim, the scrolling will pause and then resume. This happens when
> typing too, in fact, as I type this email, there's sometimes a
> noticable lag between hitting the keys and the characters appearing
> in the vim session. this lag can extend over multiple characters, and
> there's not much running in the background (system load 0.06).
>
> the same behaviour is displayed occassionally by the mouse. at times,
> the mouse pointer will just freeze in one spot for a second before
> resuming the motion i told it to do. it seems as if a harddrive
> access is coincident with this. i don't have more information...
>
> ...but i appreciate any tips...

Hmm, no answers, but some ideas:

(1) VESA driver is painfully slow - it works, but does everything in
software, gobbling up huge chunks of CPU. It's probably worth grabbing
the 4.2 debs to get Radeon support (that's what I'm using now, and
works fine for me).

(2) Have you tried playing with the hdparm '-u' flag to turn off
interrupt masking during IDE accesses ?

- Derek