Re: Help setting up IRC server

Ronald Castillo, 2002-Jul-18 00:51 +0200:

> Mainly my problems are related to the configuration of operators.  Each time
> I connect, using any nickname, the server will place me as the operator,
> maybe because I'm connecting locally as I configuired in the ircd.conf file.
> The thing is that in that file I configured that I had to use a specific
> username for admin purposes, but if I connect to the server and try a command
> I get a message saying that I'm not the server operator.
>
> Another problem that I have is that I have to place a encrypted password in
> the config.. How can I do to encrypt my password?
>
> I have installed Linuxconf so configuration should be easier now.  I'll post
> again if I find some more problems and I can't solve them on my own.

I actually run a bot to handle my operators.  I use darkbot, but I'm
working on switching to eggdrop.  I run ircd from initd and start
darkbot first to start the instance of ircd and open the primary
channel.  ircd gives operator status level 3 to the first user, the
bot in my case.  Then I have operator accounts set up with the bot, so
when I connect and join the primary channel the bot automatically
gives me level 1 operator status and then I do /msg bot login password
and the bot gives me level 3 operator status.

If I wasn't using a bot, I'd start a screen session on the server and
start ircd from their and open the channel to give me full operator
status and just leave that session going, reattaching to the session
(which is what I do anyway) when I want to.

I hope this helps,
jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer